Because I’m an asshole. Even though technically, I’m not single… but I am. And, I’m an ass.
Working in Social Media and researching potential opportunities to promote a new client, I stumbled across a social site that wasn’t Facebook, Twitter or the usual suspects I diddle. It was recommended in an article that I found reading another article, full of tips and blah blah blah. Its not a dating site, but it is, but it isn’t.
You set up a profile, and you post, like Facebook. You also get matched up to people, can send cheesy gifts, the whole ball of string and wax. Yay. I signed up, not for the dating/matching/blah part, but to see how I could use it for networking and some marketing stuff. Seriously.
Then, they started coming at me, and I began to expect photos of penises like I used to get back on my IRC days. Strangely enough, that hasn’t happened, yet.
What has happened is a whole planet full of maybe-maybe-not single men and women are gathering en masse, in various stages of chest exposure (I’ve seen big boobs, six packs and lots of hairy guts, sometimes in the same photo) vying for attention from each other. Some are old, some are new. 85% are scary, 10% are lying, and 5% are probably people like me. Bored, with few options for social or other entertainment.
So far, I’ve “met” or seen:
- Some guy who said I was too defensive. Whatever THAT means.
- Angry man full of, well, anger. That goes over well on a semi-dating site.
- Bad grammar, spelling and otherwise “blame it on auto correct” people. While I’m not always grammatically correct, if I see another “UR beautifull” statement, I may die.
- The hopeless romantic man posting hourly about his search for a “real, true love,” and the “perfect woman to complete me.” Gag. (More on him in the future. Heh.)
- Men and women that post their children as profile pictures. Ummm, I get that idea on Facebook, but, really… stop. Its a dating site. Baiting others with children is beyond skeevy.
- Self-portrait horrors. I’m smart enough to know that only one of my 1000 times I try to take a pic of myself with my phone will actually look decent. None of your posted 30 bathroom mirror pics are good. Maybe you should revert to posting pics of your kids, or a super hero, FFS.
I’ve had a few exchanges on these sites, some of which may potentially lead to further business, which, at least, makes me feel better about being there. Or, these people are just trying to get into my virtual pants. I’ve been asked out by a 20-something guy asking if I was a cougar (heh) and a guy who openly admitted he was cheating on his wife. Every day is a new adventure, a winding road, if you will.
This can only blow up in my face.
Weird? Yes. Amusing? Sometimes. Bloggable? Most definitely. More to come? Awwww yeah.